Monday, March 7, 2011

I couldn't wait for tomorrow!

Tomorrow Tuesday 8th March sees the official launch of Metalman Pale Ale in Waterford. I was really looking forward to it with the result that when Mrs Ciddytourist had to call in to her mother for a few minutes last Friday, I took the opportunity to nip around the corner to Revolution Gastro Bar where the launch is on to try a pint.
It wasn't the ideal time because I have a head cold and my taste buds which are not the best anyway were very muted.
First off I was surprised to see Metalman PA listed as a World Beer along with some of the O'Haras offerings but not Dungarvan Brewing Companys beers which are also sold here.
The beer itself was light golden in colour and sparkling, looks a real thirst-quencher but for me served was too cold - lager temperature (an issue I have had in this pub before with other ales, but at least now they have a few beers that are not kept in fridges). My first taste was of an intensely bitter beer with no hop taste or aroma to mitigate the bitterness which was partly due to my cold I am sure. I expected a citrussy balance to the bitterness due to the cascade and amarillo hop profile but this did not become apparent until the beer warmed up a bit and even then seemed under stated. All in all I enjoyed my first pint of Metalman and I am relishing the prospect of a few more pints tomorrow night at the launch even though my cold is not fully gone away.

Tim and Grainne have obviously put a lot of time, effort and money in to their product already and I wish them the very best of luck.

After all improving the choice for beer drinkers in Waterford is a noble calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment