Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Not so small stout after all!

Update! A colleague asked me for some beer samples to show students how to test for alcohol levels a while back and I gave her some of my stout and wheat beers.
The stout was tested this week and the results were surprising. The ABV came in at between 4.8 and 5%. The two separate samples tested came in at 4.99% but a Budweiser sample tested on the same Gas Chromatograph came in a bit higher than the expected 4.3% so with a slight percentage adjustment to allow for this my stout is at least the 4.8%.
The only way I can account for this is that I took the Original Gravity reading before the fermentables were fully mixed in to the wort as it read only 1.032 and my final gravity was 1.010 (after 2 weeks) giving an ABV of less than 3%
Anyway the upshot of this is that my beer is way stronger than I thought and I'll have to be more respectful of drinking it. And of course I have learned another brewing lesson.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. That was a bit of a jump alright! I still have a bottle at home; I must get round to tasting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting patiently for your feedback. See my other post "Small Stout" - "passed a bottle on to a proper brewer to see what he thinks."

    ReplyDelete